Monday, October 20, 2008

Emma Hat

Good Evening! I'm still a little under the weather so I've been relaxing at home doing a little knitting. I'm still working on Sam's sweater (two-thirds done!) but decided to pick up a little project for myself. I was flipping through a book I bought at "Busy Hands" yarn shop on Main St. in Ann Arbor called "Knitting Little Luxuries: Beautiful Accessories to Knit" by Louisa Harding. I don't have any luxurious knitted hats so I chose to work on the pattern called "Emma Hat". It's a traditional Fair Isle motif that is knit to make a square shaped hat. You can knit the pattern in the traditional 5 yarn motif or in a version with 2 colors (perfect for me since I'm a new Fair Isle knitter). It's a really cute hat and I'm enjoying knitting it.

Here are the details:
Calls for U.S. 7, 8 & 9 needles. My gauge has me knitting it with one size down. However I chose not to knit the Fair Isle with larger needles because since I'm new to Fair Isle I knew I would knit pretty loose. And it worked out perfectly.

Yarn: Calls for Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran in espresso (2 balls) and sky (1 ball). Instead I used Knit Picks Andean Silk in Pitch (2 balls) and Elegant Yarns Heavenly in Plum (1 ball). The Andean silk is 55% Superfine Alpaca, 23% Silk, and 22% Merino Wool. The Heavenly is 100% Merino Wool.

I'll post the finished product (hopefully tomorrow evening...)

No comments: