Saturday, October 11, 2008

New Yarns

I had to make a weekend stop at the knit store to buy more yarn for Sam's sweater (since he wants to make his sweater so much longer). We purchased the last 5 skeins so hopefully we'll have enough yarn for the sweater. Beyond my luck of finding the last few skeins, my trip was made worthwhile from the beautiful yarns that were in the 50% off bin!! This is what I was able to purchase:

1. Berroco Peruvia in Navy (for Sam's sweater): $8/skein
2. Debbie Bliss Cashmerino in Red: $4.25/skein (normally $8.50/skein)
3. Debbie Bliss Cashmerino in Black: $4.25/skein (normally $8.50/skein)
4. Debbie Bliss Cashmerino in Off White: $4.25/skein (normally $8.50/skein)
5. GGH Tara in Green: $5/skein (normally $10/skein)
6. Ella Rae Baby Cotton in Ecru: $2.50/skein (normally $5/skein)
7. Ella Rae Baby Cotton in Crete: $2.50/skein (normally $5/skein)
8. Ella Rae Baby Cotton in Breeze: $2.50/skein (normally $5/skein)
9. Ella Rae Baby Cotton in Haze: $2.50/skein (normally $5/skein)
10. Ella Rae Baby Cotton in Dusk $2.50/skein (normally $5/skein)

The Debbie Bliss Cashmerino is a fabulous yarn! It's 55% Merino Wool, 33% Microfibre, 12%Cashmere. It is soft and has great memory so it makes a beautiful yarn to knit sweaters, hats, etc. It shows cables and intricut details beautifully.

The Ella Rae Cotton feels great. It's hard to find a cotton yarn in soft, neutral tones. I find that many yarns look like pastel baby yarns or they are really vibrant. I like to have neutral tones for my hats, washclothes, socks, etc. And you can't beat the price!

And that leaves me with the GGH Tara yarn. I've never heard of GGH yarn but I couldn't resist the texture and feel. It's 72% cotton and 28% nylon. It feels almost like a cotton/wool blend. I had a sweater pattern in moss stitch in mind when I bought every skein of this yarn off the sale bin but the yarn may be a little too heavy for the pattern. But the color is a gorgeous deep green and being cotton I can easily wash it. Now I'll be on the lookout for a pattern to use it. If you have any recommendations please let me know!

With all of these great yarns my knitting stash is regaining strength. I was knitting as fast as I was getting yarn before. There's nothing better than having my baskets in the family room flowing with gorgeous, colorful yarns. I'll keep you posted on my projects...

No comments: