Sunday, May 3, 2009

A little unsightly, but it's green...

I've been wanting to install a rain barrel in my backyard for some time now. It's been on my list of "to-do's" and we finally got around to it this weekend. We picked up the "rain barrel kit" from our local botanical gardens for $54. It included the recycled commercial food drum and the fittings for the spigot. All we needed was a way to hook it up to our gutter and a hose for the overflow.
With the help of my father, it was installed in less than a couple hours (including shopping time). So it was a quick project. It was slightly more expensive than I thought it would be (total came out to be around $80) but you can't put a price on minimizing water run-off, can you? When you search for rain barrels online the prices are well over $100 - so I guess eighty bucks isn't too bad...I'm debating over painting the barrel or putting up a screen/fence in front of it. Currently it really does look like a giant drum of cooking oil!

No comments: