Sunday, July 5, 2009

Free Online Pattern: "Confection Baby Shrug"


This is a cute, quick pattern that can be made up in a matter of 2 quick evenings. I am mailing out a baby shower gift this week and wanted to spruce up the purchased dress with something handmade. I browsed Ravelry and came across this free pattern from Tonya Wagner called "Confection Baby Shrug." She rates the shrug as "easy" and I have to agree. It's not a super beginner pattern since there are some increases and lots of stitches to pick up around the edge - but if you have knit almost anything before this pattern should be easy for you.
I chose to knit this shrug in Rowan Yarn's All Season Cotton in color #178 Organic (an off white) on US 5 needles. It took just a tad over 1 skein of yarn. I did shorten the arm length from 3 inches of stockinette stitch to 2 inches because I wanted it to be more like a 3/4 length sleeve for a summer baby. I also knitted the sleeves in the round since I hate any seaming and I am sure glad I did that. There is no reason why you would knit them flat and seam them unless you're not comfortable knitting in the round on double pointed needles. The only other changes I made was knitting a lace pattern down the back panel. The pattern is written as knitted in plain stockinette stitch the entire way. In the middle 9 stitches on the back panel I knit a panel of lace:
1st row (right side): K1, yo, k2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k1
2nd row: Purl
3rd row: k2, yo, k1, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k2
4th row: Purl
5th row: k3, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo k3
6th row: Purl
I repeated these rows a total of 5 times for the back panel (for the 3 month old size). The resulting lace panel I think is suitable for a baby girl or baby boy. It's an easy 6 row repeat and spruces up the shrug a little.
I hope you all go over to Tonya Wagner's blog called "The Shizknit" and check out her patterns!

No comments: