This recipe is quite large when you're making them for small dogs. I mix up the dough and split the dough into 2 packages - one for the freezer for future treats and one for the fridge to rest for the recommended hour until you shape and bake them. If you're worried about food allergies with dogs these treats work well using alternative flours. Also make sure you use all natural products - applesauce and peanut butter have the tendency to have additives such as sugar in them.
Okay, okay... I hear all the dogs out there barking and whining, begging for the treat recipe ASAP. Here it is:Mia and Maddie's Favorite Dog Treats
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons Missing Link (optional - I add it for nutritional value).
- 6 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 cup natural applesauce (I make my own from scratch)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (I usually use soy milk but use cow milk sometimes, too.)
- Egg for basting (optional)
I store these treats in the freezer since it slows the dogs down when they eat them. But I'm sure you can store them at room temperature for a little while but I can't recommend how long...