Saturday, September 27, 2008

Freebie: "Manteau de Madeline" Dog Sweater


After making little Mia a dog sweater the other day I felt my dog Maddie shooting me evil eyes that she doesn't have a new sweater. Maddie is a little harder to get sweaters to fit since she is small but has a bigger chest (like all poodles). So I whipped together a personalized dog sweater for her and wrote up the pattern to post here. Since we make "girly" clothes for Mia I made Maddie's sweater a little more gender neutral in blue and light blue accents. This sweater could easily be made in shade of pinks or purples. Have fun with the color combinations! In the pattern I wrote in the areas that you can personalize for your little pooch to make a perfect fit. Hope you enjoy: "Manteau de Madeline"!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm looking at it to see if I don't need to do too many modifications for a Chihuahua.

Thanks!

~Dot

Colleen_Katana said...

Hey Sarah,

I'm attempting to make this sweater for my pooch, only I'm a newbie knitter. I have to read directions 10 times to get it! I can't wait to let you know how it goes...(it should be interesting!)

Sarah G said...

Thanks Colleen,

Good luck knitting this! If you have any questions, feel free to email me. The leg section is the trickiest since it's knit in a couple parts - if you get stuck just let me know.
Send me a picture when you're done!

Laura P. said...

I love your patterns, but I have to know. How in Gods name do you work the necks on circular needles? With only 46 CO, I can't do it!! Can you please give me some hints as to how to do this?? Sorry, I guess I'm too much of a novice. I've knitted socks and scarves and other small things, but I can't get the hang of this circular needle method. Please help! I really want to knit these sweaters for my poor 17YO minipoodle!

Sarah G said...

Hi Laura - perhaps you are using too large of circular needles? I use small circular needles. If you're still having difficulty, you can use a set of dpns (double pointed needles) and just distribute the stitches evenly over the needles. I find using circulars quicker than using dpns. But it always depends on what I have on hand...
Hope that helps! -Sarah

Anonymous said...

Magic loop works well for smaller in the round knitting... I haven't knit this sweater yet but it sounds like it would work here. Good luck!