Monday, January 12, 2009

Amy Butler's Birdie Sling


I've finished my first full sewing pattern - an Amy Butler pattern called "Birdie Sling". I carry around a canvas bag when I go out so I can prevent needing any plastic bags. My current canvas bag is looking a little grubby so I decided I needed to make a new bag. This sling is the perfect size - large and roomy but not too bulky. I carried my groceries home in it today and it fit my whole load and was comfortable. Perfection!

I chose actual Amy Butler fabric for most of it:
For the Lining - Midwest Modern Tangerine Martini
For the Main Bag - Midwest Modern Sky Fresh Poppies
For the Accent/Handles: I used Heather Bailey's Bijoux Ice

All in all this was a great first project. I read the instructions and was able to follow the directions with no help. It took a total of about 6 hours to make the bag (cutting probably took 2 hours of it). When I was almost done my sewing machine went on the fritz and I had to have my mother sew the final seam. But I'm pretty impressed with my first real project. Next I want to make a roman shade for my second bedroom that I'm making into my craft studio. I just need to get my sewing machine fixed...

No comments: