Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I'm back... (& dog bed freebie!)


It's been a couple days since I've posted because I haven't been feeling well. But I'm feeling a little bit better so thought I would post some pictures. I needed to make another dog bed so I have posted the pattern I whipped up in order to make the bed. It turned out really well and is an easy pattern. Take a look HERE. The base of the dog bed is knitted as a rectangle and picked up stitches around the side make an oval dog bed with a stuffed bolster. The idea can be easily altered to make a bed of any size.

Here are the details:
Pattern: "Simple Dog Bed"
Book: My own pattern in pdf format available here
Author: Sarah Gattis
1st Yarn: Adrienne Vittadini Paloma
1st Color: Black
2nd Yarn: Lion Brand Homespun
2nd Color: Charcoal
3rd Yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease
3rd Color: Black
4th Yarn: Paton Cha Cha
4th Color: Black
Needles
: U.S. 9 and U.S. 10.5 circular
Skeins: 1 skein of each yarn

Notes: Please feel free to use any yarns you have laying around. I had a single skein of each of these yarns in my stash. This is the perfect project to play around with different colors and textures. I double stranded most yarns to knit them up on size 10.5 needles (makes the project go quicker). The most important thing I learned while making the beds is the importance of a tight gauge for the bolster knitting. If the gauge isn't tight enough the stuffing pops out (which is irresistible to our canine companions!!!) For one bed I used Lion Brand's Thick-n-quick and it knit up really stiff on the U.S. 10.5 and stuffed really well with the fiber fill.

No comments: