Monday, March 30, 2009

Another pair of soakers... so addicting!


This weekend my husband was so kind as to drop by the yarn store with me when we were out and about town running errands. I bought dozens of skeins of yarn! I will make a post soon with all of the various yarns I got (total should have been almost $400, but I got everything on sale or clearance for $150). It was yarn heaven!
I was perusing the sale bin and ran across some bulky yarn that caught my eye. The yarn is a skein of Araucania Nature Wool Chunky in Multi. It is 100% wool that is kettle dyed in Peru. With only one skein available, I decided to try out a free soaker pattern from Ottobre Design. The website is in German (I believe that is what language that is...) but the pdf pattern is available to Ravelry members for free here.
The pattern calls for knitting the soaker in unspun wool roving. That is what originally made me interested in the pattern. I have all of this wool roving sitting in baskets from a Wool Fair that I attended. But the pattern states that you can substitute thick yarn for the roving. Next time I might try the roving...
The pattern is also somewhat difficult to follow. Now I understand why, I'm sure it is translated from German and the translation is somewhat lost when it tries to describe the increase and decrease sections. But they have a handy diagram of the pattern that makes sense of what they are describing in the pattern. So note to people who will knit this: Read through the WHOLE pattern before casting on.
I will probably knit this pattern again with changes. They have a good basic idea and it makes a great first soaker pattern, but I'm not a fan of any seaming. Next time I will provisionally cast on the decrease/increase section and then pick the provisional stitches back up and knit it in the round up towards the ribbing. I might also make it in stockinette stitch with a ribbed crotch area for something a little different... We'll see.

No comments: