Friday, April 17, 2009

Online Pattern: Buttercup Purse Finished

Good Evening Crafters! Long time, no see! But I've been a busy little bee... Crafting up a storm and now I need to blog up a storm to get all my finished projects listed here and on Ravelry...
I made the Buttercup Bag from the blog Made by Rae today. It was a quick and fun project using only a fat quarter of fabric for the outer and a fat quarter for the lining. I used some extra fabric that I had from the Birdie Sling by Amy Butler that I made.
This is a great small purse pattern. I was impressed with the ease of the directions and the professional nature of the design. It reminded me of an Amy Butler pattern (maybe that's why I liked it!) I've never used a magnetic closure before and it was a fun thing to do and really made the bag useful.
I didn't make many changes to the pattern. As you can see, I used a contrasting fabric for the handle and the top of the bag. I also chose to omit the optional button tab since I used two different fabrics. I also chose to use fusible interfacing on the handle and the top of the bag to give it a little more "oomph." I also did not follow the directions for the handle and instead made the handle 2 inches longer than called for and just cut out one piece (instead of 2) and sewed it like a tube, turned it right side out and top stitched down both side. I then attached the handle like a normal bag, sewing it in when I sewed the lining and outer together instead of attaching on top of the bag.
It turned out great and was about a 2.5 hour project. I think I may make another one to use up some of the scraps I have around. This is the perfect gift for people since it uses less fabric and is on the quicker side to make.
Thanks "Made by Rae" for sharing such a cute pattern to the online community!

No comments: