Thursday, April 23, 2009

Birthday Celebrations

Today we had a celebration for my grandparent's birthdays. They were turning an age that will remain anonymous (you're welcome, Grandma!) But my mother got my grandmother a large bouquet of daffodils filled with the number of flowers as her age. It was a beautiful bouquet.
My mom also dropped off a cake that she had baked for the family dinner tonight so that I could quickly ice and decorate it. I'm not all that proud of the results but it's the thought that matters, right? The cake was a cherry-pecan cake with a butter cream frosting. It was tasty!I made my grandma a purse for her birthday and I made in photoshop a personalized "tuckbox" (the box you put playing cards in) for my grandfather. We grew up playing cards, especially Euchre, with them so I thought a personalized card deck would be a thrifty and thoughtful present. I also handmade them a couple cards. This was the card I made my grandfather. It was a paper pieced fish that was then stitched and placed on foam adhesive for some added height. It turned out okay...

And finally, here is the birthday couple in all their glory. They were party poopers and claimed they didn't want a "bondfire on top of the cake" so they kindly refused to blow out any candles...

1 comment:

machelle said...

The cake looks lovely! I hope everyone had a fab time.. I love the idea of stitching on the card (I'm inspired!)
Have a fantastic day!