Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Almost finished with single skeins...

I'm finishing up my last lone skeins in my stash. This is a pair of Crofter Baby Shorts (see my free pattern) that I made out of a skein of Diakeito Diafuran yarn from Japan. It was a skein passed on to me from the bottom of my mother's stash. She probably has had it for years (hence the difficulty to find more). It's the softest 100% wool yarn that I have EVER felt. It's soft and lofty and a gem to knit with. The yarn has an interesting construction that I have never worked with before, it has a chain link construction instead of the typical spun wool construction. I believe this is what makes it so incredibly light. Each 40G skein has 161 yards of yarn to work with which gave me plenty for this pattern. Even though this would usually be the weight of a fingering-weight yarn, I worked these on U.S. 5 needles and got a gauge of 19 sts and 28 rows in four inches. The suble striping effect of this yarn was hard to pick up on camera but each row was slightly different. At first I bawked at the price tag of $15.40 for the skein but now I understand why. I would knit a sweater in this in a heartbeat. Heaven...
Now I just need to find someone who carries it...


No comments: