Saturday, July 25, 2009

Abundance of Zucchini

Our kind neighbor came knocking on our door yesterday with an arm full of zucchini ranging in size from a 1/2 lb all the way to a 4 lb. zucchini!! I wish I had taken a picture of all the zucchini before I started baking with them. My neighbor started a garden and the veggies are all doing extremely well. She said that she has dozens of zucchini every week and is up to her ears in zucchini bread so she thought she would pass along the fruits of her labor.
This morning I stared at the pile of veggies and tried to think about what I could make with all of them. I decided to make a zucchini cake... ever heard of that? I really enjoy making carrot cake and thought that zucchini cake would be just as tasty so I pulled out my red Betty Crocker cook book and followed the recipe for the Carrot Cake (available free online) substituting cup for cup shredded zucchini for the carrots. I just made sure to really dry the shredded zucchini by pressing the veggies on a fine mesh sieve to rid it of the cup fulls of water embedded in it. I also substituted natural applesauce for the vegetable oil and egg whites for the whole eggs to make it a low fat dessert (well, as low as it can get). I topped the cake with some cream cheese frosting and "yummy, yummy in my tummy!"

No comments: