Thursday, July 2, 2009

Busy Little Bee

I've been a busy little bee - crafting and enjoying the summer sun! So I apologize for not updating this as often as I would like! I have several projects in the pipeline (including my first quilt!!) But I haven't had time to upload pictures from my camera. So you'll have to wait in anticipation for the multiple pairs of socks, a couple wool soakers, some hats for charity, and an extremely cute sweater that I've made. I'll also update you on the quilt that I started (and will hopefully have finished piecing in the next couple weeks).
I grabbed a couple knitting books from the local library and used a couple of skeins of extra yarn for some charity hat knitting. I set the goal that I would finish 100 hats for charity by the end of the year. I've finished about 40 hats already, but the year is more than half done - so I better get working!
Here is a charity hat that I knitted from the book "101 Designer One Skein Wonders" edited by Judith Durant. The hat is the "Edge of Lace" hat. I added a row of bobbles and for symmetry added another section of garter stitch above the bobbles. It made it a little more interesting of a hat. The hat was knit in some left-over Gedifra Mayra yarn.I'm glad that I have the opportunity to review books from the library before purchasing them for my own library. I was actually quite disappointed with the 101 designer one skein wonders. There were only a couple of projects that I was interested in making - and that was just because the patterns were free. Most of the projects in the book are generic and not all that useful. I know it's hard to have a super ingenious, useful projects to make out of a single skein of yarn - but that's the challenge and interest of the book. Take your imagination and let it run wild!! In contrast, I ran across a really fun one-skein project that's available for free online from the talented Susan B. Anderson (author of some amazing books). The pattern is called, "Ribbit" and it uses a single skein of a new yarn called "Spud & Chloe". I haven't worked with the yarn, but I am super interested since it's a mix of wool and cotton, my favorite combination yarn! The colors look luscious and I will be on the look out for a couple skeins! Hmmm... all the things I could make with it.
I'll get my camera out and update this site soon. I promise!

No comments: