Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Eyelet Vest and New Yarn!

I just weaved in the last of the ends on a project that I've been slowly working on for the last month. While Sam and I were traveling to Illinois last month I looked for a knitting project to bring along for the car ride. I looked through my patterns and found a little gem I've been meaning to knit for a year - the "Eyelet Vest" by Debbie Bliss from the book "Special Knits: 22 Gorgeous Handknits for Babies and Toddlers".This is one darling vest. It calls for Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (which I had on hand from an after season sale) and U.S. 2 needles. I've been putting off knitting it because it is knit on such small needles and because it has 6 inches of straight knitting. Talk about small, boring work! But it was these characteristics which made it perfect for the car. Since I can knit stockinette stitch in the round without looking down at my knitting, I knew I could keep my fingers busy without getting car sick and 6 inches of stockinette stitch on 160 or so stitches would be several hours of knitting.
So I casted on the back and the front simultaneously (I HATE seaming and it seemed pointless to knit them separately) and worked the piece in the round (including the neck and arm holes). I finished almost all of the stockinette knitting during our trip. When I got home the piece fell in to a pile of things to finish soon. So 2 days ago I picked up the vest and started working on it again. What a fun little project! The directions are correct but at times are not written very clear-cut so you have to really think about what you're doing (meaning I had to rip out a couple rows and re-do the decreases since I wasn't thinking). But after you understand what she's getting at, the piece flies off your needles!After I was done I wasn't too happy with the rolled edge design at the bottom of the vest. Everything else is so tailored and detailed and the rolled edge just seamed too messy. So I picked up the stitches at the bottom and knit 4 rows in garter stitch. Had I looked at Ravelry and seen all the finished projects I would have seen that this was a change many knitters made (and I could have avoided needing to pick up stitches!)But it's in the details that make it just gorgeous. The eyelet holes around the vest call for a beautiful thin ribbon and I had a perfect ribbon on hand. My mother always surprises me by picking up beautiful, thin, hand-dyed, silk ribbons for me at various art shows/stores. A silk ribbon dyed in shades of rose, light pink and deep pink looked beautiful woven through the eyelets. I finished the little vest with a tiny mother of pearl finished button.This turned out so cute that I'm keeping it for myself. This is an heirloom and pictures just don't do it justice!!
I really recommend this pattern!!
After I took pictures of this project I went and got my mail out of my mailbox and was surprised by a package from Jimmy Beans Wool. I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again, this is the best yarn store to order online from! They are located in Reno, NV but somehow they get your yarn out to you in days!The yarn I ordered was some Lorna's Laces Swirl Dk Yarn which is on sale for 50% off (get it while they still have some)!!! Normally $13/skein and I got it for $6.50! Can't get any better than that!! I ordered 2 skeins of three different colorways and they are so much prettier in person than on the computer and are so soft! The colorways are Aslan (natural colors), Tickled Pink (pinks), and Bittersweet (pinks and oranges). Now what shall I do with them??

No comments: