Wednesday, June 16, 2010

DIY Boppy Cover

I received a "bare naked" Boppy as a shower gift with the intention of making a personalized cover. Every Tuesday my mother and I get together for a weekly lunch and we do something (ranges from a movie, pedicure, or a crafting project). My favorite is when we create something together. This week I had the Boppy Cover in mind. I googled Boppy Cover Tutorial and couldn't really find anything specific. So my mom and I made our own pattern - it took a couple hours (and still needs a little tweeking) but I think it turned out great! The most important part of the cover that is missing in most tutorials is a gusset in the cover. If you strictly trace around the pillow and make it like that it will be too small or really gathered and puckered. We put a gusset in the middle of the "horse shoe" and we put a zipper on the back. After we do a little more tweaking, I believe we'll start making and selling these (sorry, I'm not posting the pattern on here for free...)
Take a look at the basic cover - it's chenille on the back and cotton on the front. Next time I'm adding some piping and perhaps making a pieced front to match his quilt or room...

2 comments:

Glass Goddess said...

Inserting the gussett along the inside deffinately helps with chaffing and rubbing along the belly when in use. I have found that the best position for the zipper is along the outside edge, that way you can use both sides of the pillow. If you would like to rest the child in the crook of the "soft" fabric side. That way there is no rubbing on the babies skin, or yours for that matter when it is resting on your thighs.

Sarah G said...

Super helpful - thanks! I made the zipper somewhat invisible but there's still a little lump where it was inserted so you're probably right to put it in the seam on the outside. Thanks for the tip and the help!