Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving!


So the countdown to Thanksgiving begins...
What's on the menu for our family?

Starters:
Autumn Salad
Main Course:
Brined & Roasted Turkey
Martha's Mac & Cheese
Sides:
Pear Chestnut Stuffing
Maple Roasted Squash
Green Bean Casserole
Buttermilk Cornbread
Grandma's Cranberry Jello Salad
Dessert:
Homemade Pumpkin Pies
Homemade Fruit Pies

We usually have a menu and then each person coming to Thanksgiving is responsible for one item. It allows the person hosting it (this year my mother) to not be overwhelmed with tons of cooking. It works well and then all of the food goes together. What are we bringing? The turkey (my husband LOVES to make it) and I'm making the stuffing (that is if I can ever get over this cold...)

Knitting news? In the past couple days I have finished two little projects -
1. Some "tribbles" by Abigail of 1870pearl. This is a fun pattern if you like to use hand knitting washcloths. Click on the link and you'll be taken to the free web pattern. The final product reminds me of a washcloth "puff" - I made some small ones and use them in the evening to wash my face. Quick knit (each one takes about an hour) and doesn't use tons of yarn. I used Bernat organic cotton (they recommend Lion Brand's kitchen cotton).
2. My second project was "Fingerless Gloves" by Ann Budd out of my Weekend Knitting book. These turned out GREAT! They were fun to knit, easy to follow pattern, and gave a quick sense of accomplishment. When I was at the doctors today I got multiple compliments on the result! I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky in Scuba (a greenish-blue). Finished gloves were less than $4 worth of yarn! The Wool of the Andes yarn isn't a superwash yarn so I will have to wash the gloves on gentle cycle but it was worth using because the yarn is very soft for being 100% wool and they are toasty warm!

No comments: