Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Free Online Pattern: "Little Sister's Dress"


I started a new pattern that I found on Ravelry. It's called "Little Sister's Dress" and it's a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e! A fun, easy pattern to make and I will hopefully have it done in a couple days. The pattern is by Tora Froseth and her blog knittingalot and it is a dress (or a tunic if the child grows too tall) that is knit seamlessly. She uses a light fingering weight wool (and tiny needles) for the pattern that has sizes from 0-3 mos to 12 mos. I decided to use some Bamboo/Wool yarn in a charcoal grey that is a dk weight yarn. I followed the instructions for the 0-3 mos but with the dk weight and the size 4 needles, the dress looks like it would be for a 1 year old or so? The purple dress here is her picture from the blog of the finished piece. My dress is the work in progress in grey. I love the light sheen of the bamboo/wool and the drape is lovely. The only downside of the yarn is that it is handwash only since the wool is not superwash. I believe I will make the pattern again but if I was to gift the finished piece to someone, I will probably knit it in a superwash (like Debbie Bliss Cashmerino) or I would try it in cotton (I have a beautiful Ella Rae Baby Cotton). I'll post this finished piece soon. But until then, head over to knittingalot and check out her beautiful patterns both for free and for sale. If this pattern is indicative of anything, she's got some great stuff. I rate this my favorite pattern I've ever knitted (that's saying something!!!)

No comments: