Saturday, December 13, 2008

Free Online Pattern: Organic Cotton Cargo Pants


This pattern is from Knitty! It got rave reiews on Ravelry and I couldn't wait to try it out, especially since I had this great organic cotton/bamboo yarn in my stash. I casted on and was instantly pleased with the author's ingenious way of making the cuff of the pants - instead of seaming the cuff at the end, she had you knit the cuff down as you went along! As you knitted in the round she had you pick up the stitches from the cast on and knit them together with your current stitch. Great idea! Even though it was such an ingenious plan, I executed it horribly!! It takes a lot of patience because if you get off a bit the cuff looks kind of messy. I don't mind seaming the cuffs of the legs by hand...
The rest of the pants have minimal seaming (my kind of gal!). These are knitted in the round from the legs to the waist and you just need to reinforce the crotch area. Knitting them in size 5 needles they moved at a pretty good pace. I still need to make the actual cargo pocket and place it on. I think I'm only going to place a cargo pocket on one side.
All in all, I give this final result a 3 stars out of 5 stars. They look kind of disheveled, but will probably look better on a baby. For the pattern, click here.

No comments: