Monday, March 23, 2009

Baby Bib Tutorial

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I made a baby shower gift for some family friends and part of the gift was a baby bib that I made using Martha Stewart's Bib shape available here. I looked for many bib outlines since I didn't want to design my own. The only problem with Martha's is that you have to print it out and enlarge it 150% (which I can't figure out how to do straight from my printer so I had to print and scan while enlarging it). But when it was all printed (and taped together since it's bigger than a piece of normal paper) I finally had my template.

Materials:
- Bib template
- Flannel fabric for front
- Flannel fabric that matches for back
- Thread
- Scissors
- Sewing Machine
- Pins
- One snap (or velcro if you choose)
- Scrap of fusible interfacing (if you're using a snap)

Tutorial:















Using the bib pattern, cut one piece from the main flannel and the flannel for the back.
















This is what my back piece looked like all cut out.

















I'm going to add a snap closure to the bib so I needed to reinforce where the snap will go. Cut a small piece of fusible interfacing (or you could use scrap cotton fabric - you just want to give the area a little more substance) and fuse/sew to the area the snap will go. Make sure you attach it to the wrong side of the fabric!
Now it's time to make the "cloth sandwich" and sew it up - place your fabrics right side together and pin it together. Take it to the sewing machine and stitch 1/4" around the bib leaving an opening at the bottom to turn the bib right side out.





















This is the bib that has been sewed and turned right side out. I ironed the piece flat and pinned the opening closed. Take it to the sewing machine and top stitch around the bib. I used a decorative stitch and stitched as close to the edge as I could. This closed the opening on the bottom and cleaned up the look a little bit.
















Using a snap kit to attach the snap or however you would like to attach snaps (I use snap pliers since I don't like to hammer).
























You're now finished! Now place on baby or wrap up and give it as a gift!

No comments: