Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Finished Organic Bamboo Shawl


Whew, it's been a long time since I've posted! I've been busy with a lot of health concerns as well as crafting projects that are taking a lot of time. One of the projects I have recently finished is a shawl I'm calling "Rolling Hills".
I bought several large skeins of organic off-white bamboo/cotton yarn at a fiber festival almost a year ago. I had no idea what I was going to make with it until I ran across a stitch pattern in the "Encyclopedia of Knitting" by Donna Kooler called "Dragon Skin". I googled the stitch pattern and apparently it's been published under the same name "Dragon Skin" in multiple books. I don't know if it's copyrighted so I am not going to make a free pattern out of it since I did not come up with the stitch repeats. But basically you cast on 26 stitchs per pattern (the blog String or Nothing has posted the chart here). I made my shawl with 2 repeats (casting on 56 stitches on size U.S. 7 needles since I wanted a 2 stitch garter edge along the shawl to prevent any rolled edges). The bamboo/cotton yarn was the perfect choice since the finished product looks so natural and is super silky against the skin. It also has wonderful drape after I blocked the finished product. I repeated the pattern until I ran out of yarn (which was just barely long enough for a shawl... phew!)
I am pleased with the shawl and have worn it multiple times. It's a nice alternative to a scarf since it looks a little dressier than a bright, bulky wool scarf which I'm getting tired of wearing since I'm itching for some spring weather!!!!

No comments: