Saturday, September 26, 2009

D.I.Y Laundry Soap


Last April I wrote about my experiment to try out a recipe for making my own laundry detergent. It was a success and I was instantly hooked. After buying the necessary ingredients (bar of soap, borax, and washing soda) I was on my way. I was able to fill 4 old laundry detergent containers with the amount of soap it made and it lasted our house (which consists of just me, my husband and our 2 dogs) over 4 months. Usually we buy a container of detergent a month. So it saved us approximately $14/month in detergent costs.

After 4 months of use our clothes are clean and smell great. I don't think we'll ever buy another bottle of detergent again! The recipe to make your own costs:
  • 1 Box of Borax = $4
  • 1 Box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda = $3.75
  • 1 Box (contains 2 bars) of Yardley Soap = $1
  • Total = $8.75 for more than a year of detergent for us.
We now spend about $0.75 a month for our laundry soap compared to over $14/month! Now that's some savings!

Some of you might be asking about the time or hassle it takes to make your own soap. I agree: It's not worth making some of these things when the time to make something takes hours or days. However, this small change takes about 30 minutes every 4 months and is actually kind of fun.

What are some changes that your family has made to save money in these tough times?

No comments: